Car Seat Reviews – A Buyer’s Guide for Baby and Child Car Seats
If you have a child, you will need a car seat and even more that you need to go through Car Seat Reviews here before you get one. Even if you don’t drive yourself or even have a car, you will still need to use a car seat any time you are driven by friends or family or even if you take a taxi. Purchasing a car seat is not just a matter of appearance of function, its a matter of safety. Also, a car seat is something you need to buy before the baby is born – how else are you going to get the lovely baby home? In hospitals, after the baby is born, nurses do supervised car-seat tests for the duration of your drive home to test the safety of your car seat and ensure that there is no risk to the baby such as suffocation. Premature and ill babies especially have higher risks.
Before you buy a car seat however, you need to do your research, learn the laws that apply in your State, and make an appropriate decision that will keep your baby or child safe. The Car Seat Reviews blog is here to help you do that.
Car Seat Reviews – A Great Help!
When I had my first child, reading car seat reviews was something I overlooked. I purchased an older, used car seat that unbeknowst to me at the time had already been in an accident and was well past a replacement date. After looking into the matter more, I determined it was neccessary to invest in a new, safe and tested car seat. Nowadays, car seats are safe and starting to even be stylish and can also be transferable to the stroller or for home-use. Car seat reviews have been a great help as they describe all the features and pros and cons from an unbiased actual customers and users.
If you find yourself looking for a car-seat but being completely clueless about where to look, what to look for, how to decide which is best for you and which brand is the best, don’t worry. After doing days of research and reading car seat reviews, I have put together this blog to help any mothers or families out of the situation I was in and into being a smart and savvy consumer when it comes to buying a car seat. In this Car Seat Reviews blog, I will tell you what you should be looking for in a good car seat and will tell you what car seat reviews online are saying about the different types, brands and models. Finally, I will make my recommendation for the best car seat reviews and list my top picks for the best car seats.
Car Seat Reviews – What to look for in a Good Car Seat
When looking for the perfect car seat and reading through car seat reviews, these are the things that you should be looking for:
- Date of Manufacturing: I highly recommend that you do not buy used car seats, especially online or through sites like craigslist because you do not know the history of the product. They may be missing parts even that you cannot recognize because you are not familiar with the car seat. Also, you should never use a car seat that is more than 10 years old. Car seats have expiration dates!
- Safety Mark: Look for brands that have tested safety and have marks of safety. You can also bring your car seat to the nearest national highway traffic safety administration (NHTSA) inspection station which can be found on their website.
- Rear-Facing vs. Front-facing: Infants under 3 years should remain in rear-facing car seats for as long as possible until their weight or height exceeds the manufacturers recommended weight/height limit for the rear facing seat. Car seat reviews emphasize the importance of rear-facing seats because they support the infants neck and head in collision incidences. Also, rear facing seats should ALWAYS be in the back seat of the car.
- Height and Weight Limits: Make sure that your child is within the height and weight limits of the car seat. I also recommend buying the car seat as soon as your child reaches the limits as it will last you much longer that way.
- Combination Car Seats: These are more and more popular now and save you money in the long-run. These start off as rear-facing sears and convert to front facing when your child is ready. These are heavier though and usually are to remain in the car at all times. You should check car seat reviews to see which cars are good to use with these models as they are slightly bulkier.
- Infant Carriers: These type of car seats transition to carriers so that when they fall asleep in the car, you can simply pick up the carrier and take them inside without waking them. No one likes a crying baby! Look for car seat reviews that describe pillows too that support the baby’s neck and airway when they are sleeping. These are called headhuggers. These should be used until the baby can hold its head up. HOWEVER, note that babies should not be left to sleep in car seats for long periods of time as this is not good for their breathing and neck. They should be lying flat on their backs for sleeping. Look for car seat reviews that emphasize durability and comfort of the handle as well.
- Aesthetics: Everyone wants a cute-looking carrier that makes their baby look like its rocking-out, baby style. If you are a fashion-fiesty family, look for a car seat that matches your car’s upholstry. Also, I recommend buying gender-neutral colours if you are planning on having multiple children! Car seat reviews often comment on the look of the car seat as well as the function.
Car Seat Reviews – Older Children
Once your child is over 4 years old, they can still ride in a forward-facing car seat until they reach the top limit of the height and weight restrictions set by the manufacturers. Once they outgrow these, they should still travel on a booster seat. This places the seatbelt in the proper location on the body and also helps prevent car sickness I find. Car seat reviews give great advice about the transfreability and adaptability of car seats as your child ages. Look for car seat reviews that emphasize this point.
Filed Under Car Seat Reviews
Incoming search terms:
- convertible car seat reviews